Welcome to Kokoon’s privacy notice.
Kokoon respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal data. This privacy notice will inform you as to how we look after your personal data, tell you about your privacy rights and how the law protects you when:
- you visit our website at www.kokoon.io (regardless of where you visit it from) (“Site”);
- you access our mobile app for monitoring your sleep (“App”);
- you purchase our headphones and other related products (“Goods”); and
- we provide to you with our sleep monitoring and support services (“Services”).
- User: means any person accessing our Site or App.
- Customer: means any individual who is purchasing the Goods or using the Services.
1. Important information and who we are
Purpose of this privacy notice
This privacy notice aims to give you information on how we collect and process your personal data through your purchases of the Goods and use of the Services, including any data you may provide through the Site or App when you are purchasing our Goods or using our Services.
The Site and App are not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children.
In relation to the provision of our Goods and Services, Kokoon is the controller and responsible for your personal data (collectively referred to as “Kokoon”, “we”, “us” or “our” in this privacy notice).
We have appointed a data privacy manager who is responsible for overseeing questions in relation to this privacy notice. If you have any questions about this privacy notice, including any requests to exercise your legal rights set out below. You can contact the data privacy manager by using the contact details set out below.
Our full details are:
Kokoon Technology Limited (UK Company Number: 08740486)
Name or title of data privacy manager: CTO
Email addresses: email@example.com
Postal address: CC104, The Biscuit Factory, Drummond Road, London, SE16 4DG, United Kingdom
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact us in the first instance.
Changes to the privacy notice and your duty to inform us of changes
This version was last updated on 18/01/2022.
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with us.
Our Site may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
2. The data we collect about you
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data). We may check the details you provide with fraud prevention agencies and share your information with them if we suspect fraud. It is important that you don’t provide false, inaccurate information or impersonate another individual.
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together follows:
- Identity Data includes first name, last name, title and data of birth.
- Contact Data includes billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Transaction Data includes details about payments to and from you and other details of Goods and Services you have purchased from us.
- Technical Data includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access the Site and App.
- Profile Data includes your unique account reference number, actions or transactions made by you on the App or Site, preferences, feedback, survey responses and other correspondence.
- Usage Data includes information about how you use our Site, App, Goods and Services.
- Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us, and your communication preferences.
- Physiological and Sleep Data includes information relating to your sleeping patterns and behaviours.
We also collect, use and share Aggregated Data such as statistical or demographic data for any purpose. Aggregated Data may be derived from your personal data but is not considered personal data in law as this data does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity. For example, we may aggregate your Usage Data to calculate the percentage of users accessing a specific Site feature or the number of Good and Service types that are purchased. However, if we combine or connect Aggregated Data with your personal data so that it can directly or indirectly identify you, we treat the combined data as personal data which will be used in accordance with this privacy notice.
When we collect your Physiological and Sleep Data, we will only do so when we have your explicit consent. We otherwise do not collect any Special Categories of Personal Data about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, further information about your health and genetic and biometric data). Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences.
If you fail to provide personal data
Where we need to collect personal data by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with the Goods and Services). In this case, we may have to cancel delivery of the Goods or Services you have with us but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
3. How is your personal data collected?
We use different methods to collect data from and about you including through:
- Direct interactions. You may give us your Identity and Contact by filling in forms, providing documentation or by corresponding with us by post, phone, email or otherwise. This includes personal data you provide when you:
- use our Site, App, Goods and Services;
- create an account for our Site, App or otherwise;
- contact us to report a problem with the Site, App, Goods or Services, or for other purposes;
- request marketing to be sent to you; or
- give us some feedback.
- Automated technologies or interactions. As you interact with our Site and App, we may automatically collect Usage Data and Technical Data about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns. We collect this personal data by using cookies and other similar technologies.
- Third parties or publicly available sources. We may receive personal data about you from various third parties and public sources as set out below:
- Technical Data from the following parties: analytics providers based outside the EU, including Google Analytics; and search information providers.
- Technical and Profile Data from our ad partners and analytics providers.
- Contact and Transaction Data from providers of technical, payment and delivery services.
4. How we use your personal data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
Generally, aside from your Physiological and Sleep Data, we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data other than in relation to sending third party direct marketing communications to you via email or text message. You have the right to withdraw consent to marketing at any time by contacting us.
Purposes for which we will use your personal data
We have set out below, in a table format, a description of all the ways we plan to use your personal data, and which of the legal bases we rely on to do so. We have also identified what our legitimate interests are where appropriate.
Note that we may process your personal data for more than one lawful ground depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your data. Please contact us if you need details about the specific legal ground we are relying on to process your personal data where more than one ground has been set out in the table below.
Type of data
Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest
To register you as a new Customer or User
Performance of a contract with you
To provide the Goods and Services to you including:
(a) Manage payments, membership plans, fees and charges
(b) Collect and recover money owed to us
e) Physiological and Sleep
a) Performance of a contract with you
b) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to recover debts due to us)
c) Necessary for the legitimate interests of others (preventing fraud)
d) Where you provide your explicit consent
To manage our relationship with you which will include:
(b) Ask you to leave a review or take a survey
d) Marketing and Communications
a) Performance of a contract with you
b) Necessary to comply with a legal obligation
c) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to keep our records updated, study how Users and Customers use our Goods and Services and to improve our Goods and Services into the future)
To administer and protect our business, this Site, Goods and Services (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data)
a) Necessary for our legitimate interests (for running our business, provision of administration and IT services, network security, to prevent fraud and in the context of a business reorganisation or group restructuring exercise)
b) Necessary to comply with our legal obligations
To deliver relevant Site content and advertisements to you and measure or understand the effectiveness of the advertising we serve to you
e) Marketing and Communications
Necessary for our legitimate interests (to study how Customers and Users use our Goods and Services, to develop them, to grow our business and to inform our marketing strategy)
To use data analytics to improve our Site, Goods and Services, marketing, Customer relationships and experiences
Necessary for our legitimate interests (to define types of Customers and Users for our Goods and Services, to keep our Site updated and relevant, to develop our business and to inform our marketing strategy)
To make suggestions and recommendations to you about Goods, Services or events that may be of interest to you
f) Marketing and Communications
Necessary for our legitimate interests (to develop our Goods and Services, and grow our business)
We strive to provide you with choices regarding certain personal data uses, particularly around marketing and advertising.
Promotional offers from us
We may use your Identity, Contact, Technical, Usage and Profile Data to form a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we decide which Goods, Services and offers may be relevant for you and send to you through our marketing messages.
You will receive marketing messages from us if you have requested information from us or purchased Goods or Services from us and you have not opted out of receiving that marketing.
You can ask us or third parties to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by contacting us or unsubscribing from our marketing list.
Where you opt out of receiving these marketing messages, this will not apply to personal data provided to us as a result of a Service use, warranty registration, Service experience or other transactions.
Change of purpose
We will only use your personal data for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If you wish to get an explanation as to how the processing for the new purpose is compatible with the original purpose, please contact us.
If we need to use your personal data for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
5. Disclosures of your personal data
We may have to share your personal data with the parties set out below for the purposes set out in the table in paragraph 4 above.
- Service providers who provide payment, marketing, customer support, IT and system administration services. In particular:
- Shopify to power our online store and manage card payments – you can read more about how Shopify uses your Personal Information here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy/customers (in this policy a Kokoon Customer is a ‘Customer’)
- Ad partners, refer-a-friend schemes and social media providers. In particular:
- Facebook, see: www.facebook.com/about/privacy
- Google, see: policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites
- Microsoft: privacy.microsoft.com/en-gb/privacystatement
- Mention Me, see: mention-me.com/help/privacy_policy_s#referrers
- Professional advisers including lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers based within the EU who provide consultancy, banking, legal, insurance and accounting services.
- Regulators and other authorities based in the United Kingdom who require reporting of processing activities in certain circumstances, especially in the prevention of money laundering and fraud.
- Third parties to whom we may choose to sell, transfer, or merge parts of our business or our assets. Alternatively, we may seek to acquire other businesses or merge with them. If a change happens to our business, then the new owners may use your personal data in the same way as set out in this privacy notice.
We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
6. International transfers
Many of our external third parties are based outside the European Economic Area (EEA) so their processing of your personal data will involve a transfer of data outside the EEA.
Whenever we transfer your personal data out of the EEA, we ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to it by guaranteeing that, where we use providers based in the US, we may transfer data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between the Europe and the US. For further details, see European Commission: EU-US Privacy Shield.
7. Data security
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorized way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
8. Data retention
How long will you use my personal data for?
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
9. Your legal rights
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data.
- Access to information: You have the right to request a copy of the information Kokoon holds about you.
- Ensuring accuracy of information: Kokoon wants to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up-to-date. You may ask Kokoon to correct or complete information that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure: You may have a right to erasure, which is more commonly known as the ‘right to be forgotten’. This means that in certain circumstances you can require Kokoon to delete personal information held about you.
- Ability to restrict processing: You may also have the right to require Kokoon to restrict Kokoon’s use of your personal information in certain circumstances. This may apply, for example, where you have notified Kokoon that the information Kokoon holds about you is incorrect and you would like Kokoon to stop using such information until Kokoon has verified that it is accurate.
- Right to data portability: You may have the right to receive personal data Kokoon holds about you in a format that enables you to transfer such information to another data controller (e.g. such as another service provider).
- Review by an independent authority: You will always have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory body, including ICO as listed above.
- Preventing direct marketing: Kokoon does not sell your personal data. From time to time, Kokoon may send emails containing information about new features and other news about us. This is considered direct marketing. Kokoon will always inform you if Kokoon intends to use your personal data or if Kokoon intends to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes.
- Objecting to other uses of your information: You may also have the right to object to Kokoon’s use of your information in other circumstances. In particular, where you have consented to Kokoon’s use of your personal data, you have the right to withdraw such consent at any time.
If you would like further information on how you can exercise these rights, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No fee usually required
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
What we may need from you
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
Time limit to respond
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
A cookie is a small amount of information that’s downloaded to your computer or device when you visit our Site. The kokoon.io website uses a number of different types of cookies, including functional, reporting and analytics, targeting and marketing cookies.
Functional cookies make your browsing experience better by allowing the website to remember your actions and preferences (such as login and region selection). This means you don’t have to re-enter this information each time you return to the site or browse from one page to another. Analytic cookies provide information on how people use the website, for instance, whether it’s their first time visiting or if they are a frequent visitor, this information is typically used to design a more optimised website experience. Marketing or targeting cookies track which websites you visit and are used by marketing 3rd parties (such as Google and Facebook) to advertise to you based on websites you have visited.
The different types of cookies used on our website and their purpose are listed here.
1. Cookies Necessary for the Functioning of the Store
1st Party Cookies Used
|cyaxcountry||Used in connection with the regional store|
|cyaxregion||Used in connection with the regional store|
|region||Used in connection with the regional store|
3rd Party Cookies Used
2. Reporting and Analytics Cookies
3rd Party Cookies Used
3. Marketing and Targeting Cookies
3rd Party Cookies Used
The length of time that a cookie remains on your computer or mobile device depends on whether it is a “persistent” or “session” cookie. Session cookies last until you stop browsing and persistent cookies last until they expire or are deleted. Most of the cookies we use are persistent and will expire between 30 minutes and two years from the date they are downloaded to your device.
Managing your cookies
Please keep in mind that removing or blocking cookies can negatively impact your user experience and parts of our website may no longer be fully accessible.
Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can choose whether or not to accept cookies through your browser controls, often found in your browser’s “Tools” or “Preferences” menu. More information on how to modify your browser settings or how to block, manage or filter cookies can be found in your browser’s help file or through such sites as www.allaboutcookies.org.